Master of Divinity
Prepare for ordained ministry or leadership as a lay professional.
26 courses. 78 semester hours. Complete in as few as 3 years.
United’s MDiv meets the requirements for ordination in most major Protestant denominations, though many graduates serve as lay professionals in a variety of fields, including chaplaincy, nonprofit leadership, teaching and social work.
Our flexible options are designed to make high-quality education accessible for working pastors and other professionals—whenever and wherever works for your busy schedule. Courses are available through traditional on-campus formats, week-long intensives on campus in Dayton, Ohio, online courses or innovative virtual courses, which meet simultaneously on-campus and online.
The MDiv degree can be completed at a distance with as few as four weeks on campus over the course of the degree.*
*Residency requirements may vary by denomination. Most United Methodist students must complete 1/3 of their degree (26 semester hours) on campus. A three-year program can be completed at a distance by attending nine week-long intensives (three weeks on campus per year).
With 19 core courses (57 semester hours) and 7 elective courses (21 semester hours), gain a strong foundation and add electives that equip you to follow God’s call. Want to add a concentration to your MDiv? Use 4 of your 7 elective courses to specialize in the concentration that fits your calling.
No concentration? No problem! Use the four additional elective courses to explore other areas of interest. Students interested in a concentration are encouraged to discuss their interests and needs with the Office of Admissions, who can help you discern the best fit for your call.
78 CREDIT HOURS
MDiv Core Requirements (57 cr. hrs.)
Biblical Studies (12 cr. hrs.)
- OT504 Introduction to the Old Testament 1 (3)
- OT505 Introduction to the Old Testament 2 (3)
- NT521 Introduction to the New Testament 1 (3)
- NT522 Introduction to the New Testament 2 (3)
Church History and Theology (15 cr. hrs.)
- CH504 History of Christianity 1 (3)
- CH505 History of Christianity 2 (3)
- TH502 Introduction to Theology (3)
- TH702 Systematic Theology (3)
- ET### Any Ethics Course (3)
Practice of Ministry (18 cr. hrs.)
- PW5## Any Introductory Worship Course (3)
- PW5## Any Introductory Preaching Course (3)
- EV501 Foundations for Evangelism (3)
- PC507 Introduction to Pastoral Care (3)
- CR510 Foundations for Church Renewal (3)
- Any Practice of Ministry Course that does not count for a Concentration (3)
Contextual Ministries Requirements (12 cr. hrs.)
- PT510a and PT510b Formation 1 (3)
- PT511a and PT511b Formation 2 (3)
- PT610 Formation 3 (3)
- WR601 Methods of Interreligious and Intercultural Encounter (3)
- WR602 Immersion Trip (0)
MDiv Electives (21 cr. hrs.)
Students may use elective courses to fulfill concentration and denominational requirements. United Methodists are required to have (6) credits in UM History, Doctrine, and Polity.
MDiv Non-Credit Requirements
- SS500 Online Master Student Orientation (0)
- SS501 On Campus Student Orientation (0)
- SS510 Graduation Portfolio – Masters (0)
- SS601 MDiv Mid-Program Evaluation (0)
- SS701 MDiv Final Advising (0)
- Complete the entire degree program requirements listed for the MDiv.
- Attend on-campus orientation and complete the online orientation.
- Complete all course credits applied toward the MDiv degree within ten years.
- Participate in United’s Formation Program, which consists of:
- Three courses over three years.
- Participation in a professionally facilitated ministry group.
- Ministry in a church or community site in your area.
- Participation in a Contextual Theology Immersion Trip.
- Take Formation and Preaching on campus. Intensive courses allow you to complete on-campus courses without moving to Dayton.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum 2.5 GPA
What is your God-given dream?
Let us know how we can help you with your discernment process!
* These fields are required.
* These fields are required.