Student Aid

United Scholarships

United provides multiple scholarship opportunities to defray out-of-pocket costs for students. Read more about scholarship requirements and the application process below.

General Requirements to Apply

  • For priority consideration submit a scholarship application by the posted deadline.
    • New students – Submit application two weeks prior to the start of the semester to ensure timely processing.
  • Students taking master’s-level courses must be enrolled for a minimum of 3 credits each semester to be eligible for scholarship awards. Students enrolled for 3-5 credits (part-time) will receive a reduced scholarship equal to 50% the full-time rate.
  • Maintain a minimum GPA of 2.5 for most scholarships, unless otherwise noted.
  • Must not be in default on any federal student aid program.
  • Must be enrolled in one of the following programs:
    • Master of Divinity
    • Master of Arts in Christian Ministries
    • Master of Theological Studies
    • Master of Arts
    • Master of Ministry
    • Doctor of Ministry


Application Process

  1. Scholarship Application
    Contact [email protected] to learn about available scholarships. Continuing students will view the Hub to apply for available scholarships.
  2. Decisions
    • Communication regarding scholarship awards will be sent via United email.
  3. Scholarship Acceptance Requirements
    If a scholarship is awarded, recipients must:

    • Demonstrate appreciation by writing a letter of gratitude to the scholarship benefactor by the date specified on the award letter (required for disbursement).
Presidential Scholar

The Presidential Scholar is a 3-year scholarship of $278/credit hour to new full-time master’s students and $3,000 per year scholarship to new full-time doctoral students.

Click here for eligibility requirements and details on how to apply.

Houses of Study Scholarship

The Houses of Study scholarship is 40% master’s tuition for up to three years for the first twelve students in a House of Study.

Click here to learn more about eligibility requirements and how to apply.

External Aid

Denominational Assistance

For many major denominations, including The United Methodist Church, there are grants, scholarships and loan assistance. Policies and procedures vary and students are encouraged to consult their denominational offices early in the year for information and favorable consideration. United Methodist students may want to visit the United Methodist Higher Education Foundation (UMHEF), which provides scholarship aid for United Methodist students attending the United Methodist-related institutions.

United Methodist Higher Education Foundation

Available scholarships

  • UM Dollars for Scholars
  • General Named Endowed Awards
  • UM Foundation Merit Scholarships
  • Visit the website for more information and to apply


“Congregational Fellowships” that give matching funds of $2,000-$5,000
Deadline to apply is April 1


“Ministry Fellowships” awarded at the beginning of the second year of the M.Div. program: Deadline to apply is March 1


Denomination-Specific Scholarship Sources


Excellence in Clergy Leadership Scholarship

$2,500 – $12,500
Designated for full-time, MDiv student enrolled at one of the 13 United Methodist seminaries/schools of theology, enrolled as pursuing certified candidacy or certified candidate for ministry (elder or deacon), with demonstrated merit, progress, and commitment in the candidacy process. Demonstrated financial need and how this scholarship will help avoid additional student loans. Applicants will receive and must participate in assistance from a financial counselor from the EY Financial Planning Center. Award amount is based on matching donations and award approval from participating donors which could be one or more of the following:

  • Lilly Endowment National Initiative to Address Economic Challenges Facing Pastoral Leaders.
  • The United Methodist Seminary/ School of Theology student is enrolled.
  • The student’s annual conference (if participating as a matching donor to the program).
  • The United Methodist Foundation connected with the student’s annual conference (if participating as a matching donor to the program).

Those interested in the Excellence in Clergy Leadership Scholarship may apply with the Office of Loans and Scholarships at www.gbhem.org/scholarshipapplication. Scholarship applications will be open between January 3 and March 1 of each year. Interested students should indicate that they are applying for the “Excellence in Clergy Leadership Scholarship” on the first page of the application. For more information on the Office of Loans and Scholarships, visit http://www.gbhem.org.



American Baptist Churches Financial Aid Program
Scholarship/grants for students who are members of American Baptist Churches. Contact 800.ABC.3USA x2067 or write to Financial Aid Office, National Ministries, American Baptist Churches
USA, PO Box 851
Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851.

More information

Northern Baptist Education Society
American Baptist USA Scholarship source for ABC students from Maine, New Hampshire, or Vermont. Contact 508.693.1539 or write to:
Northern Baptist Education Society,
PO Box 395
East Falmouth, MA 02536.0395.


CHRISTIAN CHURCH (Disciples of Christ)

Disciples Home Mission
For members of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). Several scholarship sources. Deadline is March 15th. Contact 317.713.2652

More information



UCC Scholarship for Seminarians and other financial aid resources for members of United Church of Christ congregations.

More information




More information


Robert D. Snyder Memorial Scholarship
The award of up to $500 gives preference, but is not limited, to seminarians who seek to serve the East Ohio Conference of The UMC and whose faith, practice and beliefs echo those of the Reverend Robert D. (Bob) Snyder. Deadline is May 1.

More information


The Calvary Foundation
Scholarships for students who show good moral character, academic promise and financial need. Write to the Calvary Foundation,
Calvary United Methodist Church
2315 South Grant Street, Arlington, VA 22202.

More information


Harding Foundation
Preference to United Methodist Church members. Write to Harding Foundation
PO Box 130
Raymondville, TX 78580.


Laura Hofford Trust
Must be a male member of the United Methodist Church. Deadline is January 30th. Contact 212.870.3662 or write to Associate General Secretary
Mission Personnel Resources Program
Department 475 Riverside Drive Room 1470
New York NY 100115.


Mount Olivet Foundation
Preference is given to individuals connected to Mount Olivet United Methodist Church, to the United Methodist Church, to individuals from Arlington, Northern Virginia, or the Washington DC Metropolitan area. Deadlines are the 15th of January, April, July and October. Contact 703.534.7359 or write to
The Mount Olivet Foundation
1500 N. Glebe Road, Arlington, VA 22207.

More information


Military Scholarship Options

U.S. Air Force Reserve Chaplain Candidate Program
Scholarship resources for Chaplain Candidates. Contact Air Force Reserve at 800.525.0102.

U.S. Army Reserve Tuition Assistance
Scholarship resources for Chaplains and Chaplain Training Program. Contact the Senior Army Chaplain Recruiter at 800.223.3735.

Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation
For sons/daughters of current or former Marine or Marine Reservists. Deadline is March 1st. Contact 866.496.5462


Additional External Scholarship Sources

Baptist Communicators Association Scholarships

Acton Institute

Hall Missions Scholarship

Harold B. and Dorothy A. Snyder Foundation Scholarship


Federal Unsubsidized Loans

  • Complete the United federal loan application (applicant portal or student Hub)
  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA):




United’s school code: G03122
Processing takes 5 – 7 days


Financial Aid in the form of federal loans requires that a student be accepted and enrolled in one of United’s Master or Doctoral degree programs. Students must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credits each term (Summer, Fall, and Spring) to be eligible for federal loans. The student must:

Satisfactory academic progress is determined by academic course load and grades.

The U.S. Department of Education’s Direct Loan Program offers long-term loans to students with demonstrated need. The lender is the United States Department of Education. Graduate students are only eligible to receive unsubsidized loans. Students can contact their lender or the Financial Aid Office for further information.


Private Student Loans

Private student loans are non-federal loans, made by a lender such as a bank, credit union, state agency or a school. Private loans should only be used for students who have a shortfall with traditional federal student loans. The private loans are credit-based; applying with a co-signer is encouraged. Although a student can apply for private loans with any financial institution, United is on the school-approved list for Graduate Plus and College Ave Student Loans. For more information or to apply, visit the private loan websites:

Graduate Plus

Graduate Loan from College Ave Student Loans

Nelnet Bank

Planning Guides

Student Aid Policy

Business Office FAQ

Start typing and press Enter to search