A MACM degree might be for you if you are interested in…
Ordained ministry as a deacon
Extension church ministries
Specialized lay ministries
United strives to cultivate an environment where its students may learn and grow. That’s why our outstanding faculty are faithful Christians who are committed to the academic and spiritual growth of every student. Most are ordained, and many have served as pastors, bringing real-world experience into the classroom.
The Master of Arts in Christian Ministries (MACM) supports leadership and service in ministries impacting Christian community, life and practices. From worship to discipleship, deaconship to pastorate, the MACM can equip you for your call.
Learning that fits your lifestyle.
Our flexible options are designed to make high-quality education accessible for working pastors and other professionals, making it possible to earn a degree from wherever you live. Courses are available in four formats. Mix and match to suit your schedule and learning style.
• Traditional on-campus courses meet regularly throughout the semester
• Gathering Weeks on campus in Dayton, Ohio take place in January, June, August and September.
• Online courses can be completed during the semester.
• Live Interactive Virtual Education (LIVE) courses meet simultaneously on-campus and online.
The MACM degree can be completed primarily online in three years.*
*Residency requirements may vary by denomination. Most United Methodist students must complete 1/3 of their degree (15 credit hours) on campus.
Biblical Studies - 6 credit hours
History and Theology - 6 credit hours
Practical Theology - 9 credit hours
Contextual Ministry - 6 credit hours
Degree & Admission Requirements
- Complete the entire degree plan requirements listed for the MACM.
- Complete all course credits applied toward the MACM degree within ten years of the awarding of the degree, in keeping with the standards set forth by the Association of Theological Schools.
- Participate in United’s Contextual Ministry Program, which includes:
• Attendance at one Contextual Ministry retreat in early September
• Completion of two Contextual Ministry courses over one year
• Participation in a professionally facilitated ministry group
• Ministry in a church or community site in your area
To fulfill residency requirements for The United Methodist Church, United Methodist students must complete 1/3 of the degree (15 credits) on campus. Dayton, Intensive, and hybrid courses count toward this requirement. For ordination requirements, please check with your own judicatory.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum 2.5 GPA
Tuition & Fees Overview: Master of Arts in Christian Ministries
Average Annual Tuition & Fees*
Average Student Aid
United Aid – $4,451; External Aid – $1,969
Average Annual Cost After Aid
Average Program Total After United & External Aid*