Master of Ministry
Prepare for the Doctor of Ministry Program.
12 courses. 36 semester hours. Complete in as few as 1-2 years.
United’s Master of Ministry (MMin) is designed for those who want to enter the Doctor of Ministry program and have completed a master’s degree but need to achieve the educational equivalent of a Master of Divinity degree, gaining a strong foundation in theological education and spiritual formation.
The Master of Ministry degree is designed to:
- Teach skills of critical and theological reflection
- Refine your writing and research in preparation for doctoral studies
- Guide you in discerning how your specific calling and your Christian heritage connect to a larger biblical framework
Master of Divinity equivalency is defined as 72 graduate semester hours that represent broad work in theology, biblical studies and the arts of ministry. A Master of Divinity or its educational equivalent is a pre-requisite for the Doctor of Ministry program.* By the completion of your MMin, you must achieve a combined total of 72 graduate semester hours for MDiv equivalency. If your first master’s degree was less than 36 semester hours, you may take additional electives in conjunction with the MMin to achieve the 72 semester hours needed. In addition to a Master of Divinity degree, United’s doctoral program presupposes three years of ministry experience after the completion of your first master’s degree.
* The MMin program is offered as an approved exception to ATS Degree Program Standard E, section E.4.3, regarding admission requirements for a DMin program.
Master of Ministry students engage with the Doctor of Ministry program twice per year during DMin Intensive Weeks (January and August). Over two semesters during the DMin Intensives, you will participate in Formation courses, during which you will focus on personal spiritual formation through a spiritual autobiography and reflection on your ministry context. This work is foundational for later DMin project work. You will also be able to investigate DMin focus groups.
Our flexible options are designed to make high-quality education accessible for working pastors and other professionals—whenever and wherever works for your busy schedule. In addition to the DMin Intensive Week, other coursework may be completed in one of United’s other formats.
- Traditional on-campus courses meet regularly throughout the semester
- Week-long intensives in Dayton, Ohio
- Online courses can be completed at your own pace during the semester.
- Live Interactive Virtual Education (LIVE) courses meet simultaneously on-campus and online.
The MMin degree can be completed at a distance with as few as two weeks on campus over the course of the degree.** This is fulfilled by attending the required DMin Intensives. Masters intensive weeks are also available in January, June, August and September if students would like to complete some courses in this format.
** Residency requirements may vary by denomination. Check with your denominational leadership about any additional residency requirements that may apply.
With 9 core courses (27 semester hours) and 2 elective courses (6 semester hours), gain a strong foundation and add electives that equip you to follow God’s call.
36 credit hours
Previous Master’s Degree
MMIN CORE REQUIREMENTS (27 CR. HRS.)
Biblical Studies (6 cr. hrs.)
- NT521 Introduction to the New Testament 1; or NT522 Introduction to the New Testament 2
- OT504 Introduction to the Old Testament 1; or OT505 Introduction to the Old Testament 2
Church History and Theology (9 cr. hrs.)
- CH504 History of Christianity 1; or CH505 History of Christianity 2
- TH500 The Craft of Theological Thinking, Reading, and Writing
- TH502 Introduction to Theology
Practice of Ministry (9 cr. hrs.)
- PW501 Preparing to Preach; or PW502 Intro to African American Preaching; or PW504 Work of Worship; or PW510 United Methodist Worship
- WR601 Methods of Interreligious and Intercultural Encounter
- CR510 Foundations for Church Renewal; or EV501 Foundations for Evangelism
Formation (6 cr. hrs.)
- PT520 MMin Formation 1
- PT521 MMin Formation 2
MMIN ELECTIVES (6 CR. HRS.)
MMIN NON-CREDIT REQUIREMENTS
- SS500 Online Master Student Orientation (0)
- SS510 Graduation Portfolio – Masters (0)
- SS705 MMin Final Advising (0)
- Bachelor’s degree with minimum 2.5 GPA
- Master’s degree with minimum 2.5 GPA
What is your God-given dream?
Let us know how we can help you with your discernment process!
* These fields are required.