Master of Ministry
Prepare for ordained ministry or the Doctor of Ministry program.
12 courses. 36 credit hours. Primarily online or on campus.
Complete in as few as 2 years with a minimum of 1 week on campus.
United’s Master of Ministry (MMin) degree provides a strong basis in theology, church history and biblical studies. Through a robust spiritual formation process, grow in your faith and prepare for ministry in the world today. The MMin is ideal for those who are:
- preparing for ordination in a denomination that does not require a Master of Divinity degree
- preparing for the work of Deacon in The United Methodist Church
- seeking a theological and spiritual foundation for further study in the Doctor of Ministry program
Our flexible options are designed to make high-quality education accessible for working pastors and other professionals—whenever and wherever works for your busy schedule. Courses are available in four formats. Mix and match to suit your schedule and learning style.
- Traditional on-campus courses meet regularly throughout the semester
- Gathering Weeks on campus in Dayton, Ohio take place in January, June, August and September.
- Online courses can be completed at your own pace during the semester.
- Live Interactive Virtual Education (LIVE) courses meet simultaneously on-campus and online.
The MMin degree can be completed primarily online in two years, with as little as one week on campus over the course of the degree.*
*Residency requirements may vary by denomination. Most United Methodist students must complete 1/3 of their degree (12 credit hours) on campus. A two-year program can be completed at a distance by attending a total of two Gathering Weeks on campus. The primarily online option is offered as an approved exception to ATS Degree Program Standard B, section B.3.1.3
With nine core courses (27 semester hours) and two elective courses (6 semester hours), gain a strong foundation and add electives that equip you to follow God’s call.
Considering further study?
For those with a previous master’s degree who are interested in pursuing advanced study in United’s Doctor of Ministry program, the 36-credit hour MMin program is offered as an approved exception to the ATS Degree Program Standard E, section E.4.3, regarding admission requirements for a DMin program. The MMin program can help you augment a previous master’s degree with theological coursework to achieve the educational equivalent of a Master of Divinity degree.*
*Master of Divinity equivalency is defined as 72 graduate semester hours that represent broad work in theology, biblical studies and the arts of ministry. A Master of Divinity or its educational equivalent is a pre-requisite for the Doctor of Ministry program.
36 credit hours
MMIN CORE REQUIREMENTS (27 CR. HRS.)
Biblical Studies (6 cr. hrs.)
- NT521 Introduction to the New Testament 1; or NT522 Introduction to the New Testament 2
- OT504 Introduction to the Old Testament 1; or OT505 Introduction to the Old Testament 2
Church History and Theology (9 cr. hrs.)
- CH504 History of Christianity 1; or CH505 History of Christianity 2
- TH500 The Craft of Theological Thinking, Reading, and Writing
- TH502 Introduction to Theology
Practical Theology (9 cr. hrs.)
- PW501 Preparing to Preach; or PW502 Intro to African American Preaching; or PW504 Work of Worship; or PW510 United Methodist Worship
- WR601 Methods of Interreligious and Intercultural Encounter
- ER510 Foundations for Church Renewal; or ER501 Foundations for Evangelism
Contextual Ministry (6 cr. hrs.)
- CM510 Contextual Ministry 1 (3)
- CM511 Contextual Ministry 2 (3)
MMIN ELECTIVES (6 CR. HRS.)
MMIN NON-CREDIT REQUIREMENTS
- SS500 Online Master Student Orientation (0)
- SS510 Graduation Portfolio – Masters (0)
- SS705 MMin Final Advising (0)
- Bachelor’s degree with minimum 2.5 GPA
- Master’s degree with minimum 2.5 GPA
What is your God-given dream?
Let us know how we can help you with your discernment process!
* These fields are required.