The Master of Divinity prepares students to enter ministry as ordained religious leaders or as lay professional ministers. United’s program emphasizes bible, theology, ethics, evangelism, preaching and worship, ministry formation, church history, pastoral care and church renewal. It meets the requirements for ordination in most major Protestant denominations.
Comprehensive in academic focus and process, the Master of Divinity program includes rigorous coursework in both academic and practical disciplines, along with the intentional worship and community life necessary for personal and professional development in ministry. United offers concentrations in Church Renewal, Care Giving and Wesleyan and Methodist Studies.
United’s Master of Divinity is a flexible program that offers courses available at our beautiful Dayton, OH, campus, at our West Virginia campus and online.
57 Hours Required Courses
21 Hours Electives
Assessment (non-credit requirements)
Time for Degree Completion
3 years full time study
If you wish to combine online and on-campus courses to earn your Master of Divinity you must:
1. Complete New Student Orientation (online and in person)
2. Complete 78 hours of credits (57 Core curriculum credits and 21 elective credits)
3. Complete a minimum of 1/3 of your degree in residency United’s Intensive weeks allow you to complete residency courses in hybrid or on-campus intensives. For ordination requirements, please check with your own judicatory.
4. Enroll in Hybrid Contextual Ministries as soon as you begin your M.Div. if you plan to complete your degree in three years. All theological students (except M.T.S.) must enroll in the Contextual Ministries Program, which consists of:
A. Professionally facilitated ministry group (MINgroup) that meets online and in one of the intensive week each term for five terms.
B. Ministry in a church or community site in your area (10 – 20 hours per week)
C. Formation courses
D. Contextual Theology Immersion Trip
For more information, please visit Contextual Ministries
5. Concentrations of study may be chosen in Church Renewal, Care-Giving or United Methodist and Wesleyan Studies
Intensive Weeks will be offered four times a year at our Dayton, Ohio, campus so that students can complete the residency portion of their degree.
Included in the Intensive Week:
• Formation Retreats
• Communal worship and meals
• Intensive and Hybrid courses
Intensive Week Fees:
There are some additional costs associated with Intensive Weeks.
Housing: Lower prices have been negotiated at some of the hotels in the area. Please explore the Visitor Accommodation section of the website to make your own room arrangements for the week or contact the Academic Administrative Assistant.
Transportation: United may provide transportation to and from the hotels in Englewood near I-70 and SR 48 for a nominal fee. Please contact the Academic Administrative Assistant for details and to advise us if this service is needed.
Some hotels provide free transportation to and from the airport. Please arrange this with the hotel.