Dr. Michael Beck
Fresh Expressions and Church Renewal
A fresh expression is a missional, contextual, formational, and ecclesial form of church for our changing culture, established primarily for the benefit of those who are not yet part of any church. Thousands of fresh expressions are emerging across the globe. Inherited congregations involved in their cultivation are experiencing forms of revitalization, in what has been called a “blended ecology of church.” This cohort, led by leading practitioners, the first of its kind in the US, is created for entrepreneurs and intrapreneurs passionate about leading local churches in mission on the edge.
Graduates of the Fresh Expressions and Church Renewal Doctor of Ministry program will:
- demonstrate an advanced understanding and integration of fresh expressions/pioneer ministry in relation to leadership and post-Christendom culture
- formulate a comprehensive understanding of the missional church movement, while developing and acquiring skills in research methods, critical thinking, and academic voice
- foster competencies in contextual intelligence, missional church planting, and the anticipation of trends for local ministry application through the completion of a doctoral-level project
- engage with diverse cultural, religious, and linguistic contexts of ministry through an immersive cross-cultural field experience
- learn adaptive skills for a new missional frontier, including navigating the relationship between “caring for the center, experimentation on the edge” or re-missioning traditional congregations to become fresh expressions incubators
- hone practical renewal skills like cultivating healthy/holy teams, having crystal clear focus, establishing thoughtful, biblical, Wesleyan strategies, and practicing continually getting better
Rev. Dr. Michael Beck is Director of Re-Missioning for Fresh Expressions US and Cultivator of Fresh Expressions for the Florida Conference of The United Methodist Church.