The Master of Theological Studies degree program is designed for persons who wish to pursue the academic study of religion or to increase their religious understanding and ministerial capacity to serve the Church.
The M.T.S. degree provides a solid basis in theological foundations including bible, theology, and church history, and introduces methodologies involved in the academic study of religion. This degree may be completed fully online, on United’s Dayton, Ohio, campus or in a combination of online and on-campus study.
The Master of Theological Studies degree is designed to:
- Provide you with a solid foundation in theological study, including Bible, theology, church history and related studies
- Introduce you to the academic study of religion in preparation for further graduate study (Ph.D.)
- Deepen your understanding of Christian faith and practice through concentration in a specific theological area
- Enable you to develop a specialization for a particular vocational aim
History of Christianity
*Not available as a fully online option
48 semester hours
Assessment (non-credit requirements)
Online Student Orientation: Required program introducing Theological Education
Basic Theological Studies: 21 sem. hrs.
Concentration and Project: 18 sem. hrs.
M.T.S. Colloquy: 3 sem. hrs.
Electives: 6 sem. hrs.
Time for Degree Completion
Minimum: 2 to 3 years full time study
If you wish to combine online and on-campus courses to earn your Master of Theological Studies, you must:
1. Complete New Student Orientation (online and in person)
2. Complete 48 hours of credits (21 Core curriculum credits and 27 Master of Theological Studies credits)
3. This degree can be taken completely online. For ordination requirements, please check with your denominational leadership.
4. Enroll in concentrations (18 Semester hours) after adviser consultation. The 18 hours of concentration credits are part of the 27 Semester hours.
A suggested course schedule is provided with the help of an advisor.
Intensive weeks will be offered four times a year at our Dayton, Ohio, campus so that students can complete the residency portion of their degree.
Included in the Intensive Week:
• Communal worship and meals
• Intensive courses
Intensive Week Fees There are some additional costs associated with Intensive Weeks. Please
visit TUITION and FEES for more Information.
Housing: Lower prices have been negotiated at some of the hotels in the area. Please explore the Visitor Accommodation section of the website to make your own room arrangements for the week or contact the Academic Administrative Assistant.
Transportation: United may provide transportation to and from the hotels in Englewood near I-70 and SR 48 for a nominal fee. Please contact the Academic Administrative Assistant for details and to advise us if this service is needed.
Some hotels provide free transportation to and from the airport. Please arrange this with the hotel.
Course Catalog and Planning Guide
The Course Catalog and Planning Guide is provided to assist students in mapping out their degree program at United.
Click below to view the most recent Course Catalog and Planning Guide.