The Master of Theological Studies degree program is designed for persons who wish to pursue the academic study of religion or to increase their religious understanding and ministerial capacity to serve the Church.
The M.T.S. degree provides a solid basis in theological foundations including bible, theology, and church history, and introduces methodologies involved in the academic study of religion.
48 semester hours
Online Student Orientation: Required program introducing Theological Education
Basic Theological Studies: 21 sem. hrs.
Concentration and Project: 18 sem. hrs.
M.T.S. Colloquy: 3 sem. hrs.
Electives: 6 sem. hrs.
Time for Degree Completion
Minimum: 2 to 3 years full time study
If you wish to combine online and on-campus courses to earn your Master of Theological Studies, you must:
1. Complete New Student Orientation (online and in person)
2. Complete 48 hours of credits (21 Core curriculum credits and 27 Master of Theological Studies credits)
3. Complete a minimum of 1/3 of your degree in residency. There is also a required on-campus colloquy and some additional assessment requirements. The Intensive Weeks allow you to complete some residency courses. For other requirements, please check with your adviser.
4. Enroll in concentrations (18 Semester hours) after adviser consultation. The 18 hours of concentration credits are part of the 27 Semester hours.
A suggested course schedule is provided with the help of an adviser.
Intensive weeks will be offered four times a year at our Dayton, Ohio, campus so that students can complete the residency portion of their degree.
Included in the Intensive Week:
• Communal worship and meals
• Intensive courses
Intensive Week Fees There are some additional costs associated with Intensive Weeks. Please
visit TUITION and FEES for more Information.
Housing: Lower prices have been negotiated at some of the hotels in the area. Please explore the Visitor Accommodation section of the website to make your own room arrangements for the week or contact the Academic Administrative Assistant.
Transportation: United may provide transportation to and from the hotels in Englewood near I-70 and SR 48 for a nominal fee. Please contact the Academic Administrative Assistant for details and to advise us if this service is needed.
Some hotels provide free transportation to and from the airport. Please arrange this with the hotel.