Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information
Updated: April 22, 2020
With the ongoing impact of the COVID-19 outbreak, United has extended its campus closure through May 31. Campus offices will remain closed, with employees continuing to work remotely. The seminary anticipates re-opening campus on Monday, June 1, 2020, pending future recommendations from government and health officials.
In keeping with the previous announcement regarding Spring 2020 courses, June Gathering Weeks will take place LIVE instead of on-campus. Students will video conference into courses via the LIVE classroom for the 2 ½ days (or 5 days, for students registered for two hybrid courses) that would have taken place on campus, and will still complete the online coursework as usual for a hybrid course. Currently, Fall 2020 Gathering Weeks in August are planned to take place on campus.
In addition, the Seminary has established a new date for the 2020 Commencement ceremony, previously postponed. The Seminary will celebrate 2019-20 graduates on Saturday, September 26, 2020, in Dayton, OH.
Previous measures at the Seminary remain in effect:
- All courses are moving to an online or virtual format through the end of the spring 2020 semester.
- Doctor of Ministry Mentors and students will conduct cohort meetings via videoconferencing rather than meeting face to face.
- Campus offices will be closed beginning at 6 p.m., March 17, continuing through May 30. During this time, all employees will work remotely and will still be accessible by phone and email.
We are praying that God will heal those who are sick with the virus and other illnesses, that God will work through those who are developing a vaccine, and that God will bless us all with wisdom and faith in the midst of this crisis.
“God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble….‘Be still, and know that I am God!’” — Psalm 46:1, 10
What You Need to Know
- If you have been on campus after coming into contact with someone diagnosed with COVID-19 and/or are experiencing signs and symptoms, please notify Steve Swallow, Vice President for Finance and Administration (937.529.2391 or firstname.lastname@example.org), so that the Seminary can take appropriate steps.
- If you have not been on campus and are experiencing signs and symptoms, please follow the regular sick/absence policy in your class syllabus or employee handbook.
- This is an evolving situation; the CDC coronavirus website is the best source of updated information.
What You Can Do
We encourage the United community to follow guidance from health officials to protect yourself and others. The coronavirus is thought to spread mainly from person-to-person. The Center for Disease Control recommends routine hygiene etiquette as the best preventive measure:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Cover coughs and sneezes with your elbow or a tissue, and discard tissues in the trash.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home if you are sick, except to get medical care.