The process and requirements for federal loans is different from private loans

Federal Loans

Free application of federal student aid (FAFSA)

Online FAFSA App
United’s school code: G03122
Processing takes 5 – 7 days

Apply for a federal loan online

Federal Loan App


Financial Aid in the form of federal loans requires that a student be accepted and enrolled in one of United’s master’s degrees or certificate programs. Enrollment must be at least half-time (six semester hours in the Fall and Spring).
The student must:

  • Have demonstrated financial need as determined by federal guidelines
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress

Satisfactory academic progress is determined by academic course load and grades.
The U.S. Department of Education’s Direct Loan Program offers long-term loans to students with demonstrated need. The lender is the United States Department of Education. Graduate students are only eligible to receive unsubsidized loans. Students can contact their lender or the Financial Aid Office for further information.

Private Student Loans

Private student loans: These loans are non-federal loans, made by a lender such as a bank, credit union, state agency or a school. Private loans should only be used for students who have a shortfall with traditional federal student loans. The private loans are credit-based; applying with a co-signer is encouraged. Although a student can apply for private loans with any financial institution, United is on the school-approved list for Wells Fargo and Discover Student loans. For more information or to apply, visit the private loan websites:

Graduate Loan from Wells Fargo
Graduate Loan from Discover Student Loans