The application process can take several weeks to complete. Below are the steps you’ll need to follow to complete the process on the applicant portal. If you plan to apply for financial aid or scholarships, it is advised that you work on these applications simultaneously.
Step One: Application
Complete the quick and easy online application.
Step Two: Application fee
This fee may be paid online.
Step Three: Background Check
A non-refundable fee of $50 will be charged by Verified Credentials.
Step Four: Transcripts
Official transcripts of all education beyond high school to be sent directly to United from the college, university or seminary. Faxed or applicant delivered copies are not accepted at any time.
Step Five: Letters of Recommendation
Arrange for completed recommendations to be sent directly from references to the Office of Admissions via the online application.
• Four letters of recommendation (For B.G.T.S., C.T.S. and Pre-Doctoral applicants, One Academic Professional or Employer, Two Church Members or Pastors, One Lay Person)
• Letters of recommendation are not required for UMC Certification and Non-Degree Graduate applicants
Step Six: Essays
Write one or two essays as instructed below and submit them online. Essays should be type-written, double-spaced. Essays are not required for UMC Certification and Non-Degree Graduate applicants.
Essay Question 1 (For B.G.T.S., C.T.S and Pre-Doctoral applicants only)
Write one essay addressing the issues below. This essay should be two pages in length.
• What are your professional goals?
• Why do you wish to enter this seminary and why at this time in your life?
• To what do you feel called and what gifts do you bring to this vocation? What affirmations from the people around you have you received regarding this calling?
Essay Question 2 (For B.G.T.S., C.T.S .and Pre-Doctoral applicants only)
Write one essay addressing the question below. This essay should be one page in length.
• What do you see to be the most important issue the church will face in the next 10 years?
International Students have additional requirements.
After an application is complete, the Admissions Office will review your application to ensure you have fulfilled all the requirements for consideration for admission into United Theological Seminary. This can take up to two weeks. We will contact you if there are any outstanding required items.
If you are admitted you will receive a phone call and an admittance letter with instructions on how to acknowledge your Letter of Intent (LOI) to attend United Theological Seminary. You will need to acknowledge the LOI as soon as possible. If your application is denied, you will be notified by mail or email.
Upon receipt of your LOI, we will send you confirmation that we received your letter. In addition, your student file will be transferred to the Registrar’s Office.