Master of Theological Studies
Prepare for ordained ministry or leadership as a lay professional.
26 courses. 78 semester hours. Complete in as few as 3 years.
The MTS degree is designed for persons who wish to pursue the academic study of religion or to increase their religious understanding and ministerial capacity to serve the church and community.
Our flexible options are designed to make high-quality education accessible for working pastors and other professionals—whenever and wherever works for your busy schedule. Courses are available in four formats. Mix and match to suit your schedule and learning style.
- Traditional on-campus courses meet regularly throughout the semester
- Week-long intensives on campus in Dayton, Ohio take place in January, June, August and September.
- Online courses can be completed at your own pace during the semester.
- Live Interactive Virtual Education (LIVE) courses meet simultaneously on-campus and online.
The MTS degree is available fully online, fully on campus or through a combination of online and on-campus study. Take classes in traditional or intensive formats at our campus in Dayton, OH, or complete coursework from wherever you live via online or LIVE course options.
With 9 core courses (27 semester hours) and 7 elective courses (21 semester hours) chosen in consultation with your advisor, gain a strong foundation and focus in an area that equips you to follow God’s call. Your ministry can be enriched by careful study in the areas of Church History and Theology or Biblical Studies.
Focus your study in one of two areas to develop a specialization in support of your vocational aim. Focus area courses account for 18 of the 27 credit hours in the MTS core requirements.
- Church History and Theology
- Biblical Studies
48 credit hours
MTS CORE REQUIREMENTS (27 CR. HRS.)
Biblical Studies (12 cr. hrs.)
- OT504 Introduction to the Old Testament 1 (3)
- OT505 Introduction to the Old Testament 2 (3)
- NT521 Introduction to the New Testament 1 (3)
- NT522 Introduction to the New Testament 2 (3)
Church History and Theology (9 cr. hrs.)
- CH504 History of Christianity 1 (3)
- CH505 History of Christianity 2 (3)
- TH502 Introduction to Theology (3)
Colloquy (3 cr. hrs.)
- CQ500 MTS Colloquy Attendance (0)
- CQ520 MTS Colloquy 1 (1)
- CQ521 MTS Colloquy 2 (1)
- CQ620 MTS Colloquy 3: Thesis Proposal (1)
- CQ621 MTS Colloquy 4: Thesis Completion (0)
Thesis or Project (3 cr. hrs.)
- CQ650 MTS Thesis (3)
MTS ELECTIVES (21 CR. HRS.)
Core Theological Disciplines Electives (6 cr. hrs.)
- Must be in one of the core disciplines (BI, OT, NT, CH, ET, TH), chosen in consultation with advisor
Focus Area Electives (15 cr. hrs.)
- Must be related to the student’s MTS Focus Area, chosen in consultation with advisor
MTS NON-CREDIT REQUIREMENTS
- SS500 Online Master Student Orientation (0)
- SS501 On Campus Student Orientation (0)
- SS510 Graduation Portfolio – Masters (0)
- SS602 MTS Mid-Program Evaluation (0)
- SS702 MTS Final Advising (0)
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum 2.5 GPA
Learn more about the application process: Masters Admissions page.
What is your God-given dream?
Let us know how we can help you with your discernment process!
* These fields are required.