Master of Theological Studies
Pursue the academic study of Christianity or prepare for a PhD or ThD.
16 courses. 48 credit hours. Fully online or on campus.
Focused study leading to a thesis. Complete in 2-3 years.
United’s Master of Theological Studies (MTS) degree provides a strong academic foundation for further graduate study or growth in religious understanding. Through the study of the Bible, the historic faith and theological traditions, expand your knowledge for the life and witness of the Church today.
Learning That Fits Your Lifestyle
Our flexible options are designed to make high-quality education accessible for working pastors and other professionals, making it possible to earn a degree from wherever you live. Courses are available in four formats. Mix and match to suit your schedule and learning style.
- Traditional on-campus courses meet regularly throughout the semester
- Gathering Weeks on campus in Dayton, Ohio take place in January, June, August and September.
- Online courses can be completed during the semester.
- Live Interactive Virtual Education (LIVE) courses meet simultaneously on-campus and online.
The MTS degree is available fully online, fully on campus or through a combination of online and on-campus study. Take classes in traditional or intensive formats at our campus in Dayton, OH, or complete coursework from wherever you live via online or LIVE course options.
With 9 core courses (27 semester hours) and 7 elective courses (21 semester hours) chosen in consultation with your advisor, gain a strong foundation and focus in an area that equips you to follow God’s call. Your ministry can be enriched by focused study in the areas of Church History and Theology or Biblical Studies.
Focus your study in one of two areas to develop a specialization in support of your vocational aim. Focus area courses account for 18 of the 27 credit hours in the MTS core requirements.
- Church History and Theology
- Biblical Studies
48 credit hours
MTS CORE REQUIREMENTS (27 CR. HRS.)
Biblical Studies (12 cr. hrs.)
- OT504 Introduction to the Old Testament 1 (3)
- OT505 Introduction to the Old Testament 2 (3)
- NT521 Introduction to the New Testament 1 (3)
- NT522 Introduction to the New Testament 2 (3)
Church History and Theology (9 cr. hrs.)
- CH504 History of Christianity 1 (3)
- CH505 History of Christianity 2 (3)
- TH502 Introduction to Theology (3)
Research and Methodology (3 cr. hrs.)
- TH510 Theological Research and Methodology (3)
Thesis or Project (3 cr. hrs.)
- CQ650 MTS Thesis (3)
MTS ELECTIVES (21 CR. HRS.)
Core Theological Disciplines Electives (6 cr. hrs.)
- Must be in one of the core disciplines (BI, OT, NT, CH, ET, TH), chosen in consultation with advisor
Focus Area Electives (15 cr. hrs.)
- Must be related to the student’s MTS Focus Area, chosen in consultation with advisor
MTS NON-CREDIT REQUIREMENTS
- SS500 Online Master Student Orientation (0)
- SS510 Graduation Portfolio – Masters (0)
- SS602 MTS Mid-Program Evaluation (0)
- SS702 MTS Final Advising (0)
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
Learn more about the application process: Masters Admissions page.
What is your God-given dream?
Let us know how we can help you with your discernment process!
* These fields are required.