Did you know that many theological students graduate from seminary with more than $60,000 in debt? Ensuring the economic stability of a new pastor is a significant step toward making a difference in his or her life, ministry and in the church he or she serves.
United’s Master and Doctoral Scholar Program provides full scholarship funding for qualified candidates in a three-year master or doctoral degree program at United.
The Master and Doctoral Scholar Program begins with a commitment to a donor-student partnership, and donors understand and meet the following criteria when establishing a particular award:
- Donor establishes and supports a “current use” fund.
- Funds are contributed to the Master or Doctoral Scholar’s fund on an annual basis. The cost of a full Master or Doctoral Scholarship is $50,000 and can be paid over 3 or 5 years and may be shared with other donors.
Students understand and meet the following criteria in order to receive their particular Master or Doctoral Scholar award:
- The tuition scholarship is awarded to a qualifying student at the discretion of United’s scholarship committee, using agreed-upon criteria.
- Scholarship will be awarded by the scholarship committee to this same qualifying student during his/her seminary education as long as eligibility is maintained.
- Donor and student are introduced by United, and United will help support the donor-student relationship during the tenure of the scholarship.
- Donor and student are encouraged to meet quarterly at a time and place of mutual convenience to discuss the student’s learning experience.
New Master Scholar Partnerships to Be Awarded Fall 2016
- Two new James Scholars
- The Burton-Gifford Scholar
Current and Previous Master and Doctoral Scholar Partnerships
- The Heinrich Scholar
- The Tharp Scholar
- The Burton Scholar
- The Leipsic UMC Scholar
- The Telljohann Scholar
- The Cathedral of the Rockies Scholar
- The Charles Booth Preaching Conference Scholar
- The Fulmer-Gifford Scholar
- The Nelson-Olin Scholar
- The Deichmann Scholar
- The James Scholar