1871 – 2011
This fall, United Theological Seminary begins its 140th year of serving the church! Bishop Milton Wright (Father of Wilbur and Orville Wright) was the chair of the Church of the United Brethren in Christ’s Board of Education that made the decision to found a seminary in Dayton, Ohio. Classes were first held on October 11, 1871, in the Home (Summit) Street United Brethren in Christ Church (Dayton) with eleven students enrolling. The United Brethren denomination eventually merged with the Evangelical Church and finally, in 1968, with the Methodist Church.
Today, United, as one of the 13 United Methodist seminaries, recruits, educates and nurtures faithful leaders for the mission of Jesus Christ in the world. United’s graduates number more than 5500 and represent all 31 countries and all 50 states. These graduates have served as bishops, district superintendents, pastors, Christian education directors, counselors, chaplains, and professors.
For more details about United’s history, please visit our Historical Timeline.